Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Thai Rice Pudding

This is a very loosely adapted (so loosely that I don't even need to reference it) recipe from an old cookbook of mine. It was one of those "bargain" cookbooks from the cheap section at Barnes and Noble, and I soon discovered why... major misprints and omissions. Such as omitting the temperature at which their version of coconut rice pudding should be cooked. But it got me thinking -- what about making it in the slow cooker? The original recipe was finicky in that you had to watch it bake in the oven for 3+ hrs, stirring every once in a while and making sure it wouldn't burn. The slow cooker method takes that out of the equation. I played with the ingredients and switched a bunch of things around, and this is what I got... it's a combination of three of my favorite things: rice, coconut, and lime; all wrapped up into one happy bowl of comfort food.


1 cup arborio rice

2 cans coconut milk (not reduced fat)

2 cups milk*

1/2 cup brown sugar*

zest of 1/2 lime

1/4 tsp salt

toasted coconut

lime wedges (optional)

In a slow cooker, mix the following: rice, coconut milk, milk, brown sugar, and lime zest. Cook on medium for about 2 hrs, or until the rice has fully plumped up and the sauce has thickened considerably.

Serve warm with a generous heap of toasted coconut on top, and garnish with lime wedge if desired.

*for my vegan friends: substitute soy or almond milk for dairy, and you could use any vegan sweetener of your choice (turbinado sugar, maple syrup, brown rice syrup, etc.).


Zanne Rose said...

I'm not really a fan of savory puddings, because I've never understood what goes into them. You and Lou share favorite things, and it sounds really tasty. I think we'll try this - Bev will love it!

Eddie said...

That looks awesome, and I'm betting my wife would love it. Confused, tho: brown sugar isn't vegan?

Jen said...

Eddie, usually not... because it is made from traditional white sugar which is sometimes refined using animal products. This explains:


Zanne, it's actually a sweet dessert pudding...

Cari said...

Wow, the sugar thing is pretty hard-core vegan. Crazy. Happy I'm an omnivore!